Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Hubris

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Neeko listened as Thadar talked about the man he saw as a father. Neeko understood what it was like to lose someone you loved. Just as Thadar seemed to notice a shadow slightly to the left, Neeko noticed footprints on the stone below him. He knelt to the floor, rubbing the soil from the print between his fingers and smelling it curiously. He also noticed that suddenly everything around them became eerily silent.

Then a strange mist seemed to slither in and surround him and Thadar. Suddenly they could not see anything. “Thadar!” Neeko called hoping to follow his voice. Then a wrenching and piercing shriek shattered the silence. Neeko could not tell if the shriek was human or non-human. It reminded him of the stories of old that his grandfather use to tell him; stories of goblins, ghosts and witches. Stories that never ended happy.

He could hear a thumping sound and it shook the ground along with it. It felt as if it were getting closer. Between each thump there was a dragging sound; something was moving closer. Afraid to loosen his bow in fear of shooting Thadar or a palace guard, Neeko stood ready for whatever was about to approach. Whatever it was, Neeko sensed was larger than any man or animal he had ever seen. Neeko’s only thought was “Gods help us!”

Banned
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class3 months registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    After a bit more discussion with her father, they had reached a conclusion. Bowing to her father and kissing him on the cheek she left the room in search for the others. As she stepped outside she met the patiently waiting Cornelius and smiled, "Ah, my good friend. I have much to discuss with you. Please follow me.

She lead him down the hall away from the noise of the room, though not many people remained in the throne room thanks to the guards work from earlier. Keeping a look of self assurance and her back straight she turned to face her friend again, "My father has granted this journey, though he did not have much choice. He will be sending with us two guards, and we will be supplied with horses, as well as a spare horse for caring our things if necessary. We will leave shortly after dawn tomorrow morning, so it is bright enough to see."

Clearing her throat she looked down the hallway, absentminded as she continued, "We must make this a show, as you know. We have to make sure all of use are smiling brightly, excited to go on our..." she held up her fingers to quote "quest", she lowered her hands. "The people must not be afraid of what awaits them outside of The Hubris with The Pale gone; however, I honestly do not know what is to be expected."

Looking back a spark of fear flashed across her eyes, though she tried to hide it, "The only knowledge we have to start, is to find a wizard named Adoamros Thantalin. His last known location was South of us, in Aellyn. I am not sure if the maps have changed in the last centuries, so I am not sure how far South we will have to travel." She closed her eyes to take a deep breath to conquer her fear before looking back up at Cornelius, "I am glad you will be joining me on this journey. We should head to the inn now, and update the others. Please, tell me what you think on the--"

Her voice was cut off when she heard the scream come from the garden, What was that?! "Guards!", she screamed as she ran towards the garden to see the commotion.
    Last edited by Mylo; 01-08-2014 at 04:24 AM.

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    "My name is Danna Elorilandria," the she-elf said, "I am a messenger from the fifth city, returning from a charge in Aellyn."

"Aellyn?" asked Grimwald as he peered through the flames to meet Danna's eyes. The name was familiar to him, but he feigned complete ignorance. Grimwald recalled seeing Aellyn on a map long ago, south of Hubris, surrounded on three sides by the fire mite marsh. Grimwald's journeys outside Hubris had always taken him North, he knew very little of the southern lands. "I have never heard of this Aellyn..."

"If you hail from the blue prison, I don't see why you would."

Grimwald lurched backward, insulted by the elf's accusation. Years of service and sacrifice in Hubris's high guard had not been forgotten to him. Although removed from the guard, Grimwald still held a very strong sense of pride for Hubris, for his duty, a sense of honor that suddenly stung deeply. Danna's eyes followed as he fidgeted uncomfortably in place, the wounded look plain on his face.

Thoughts of the Pale's popular purpose raced through Grimwald's mind. Angered, he thought to argue with the arrogant elf, to defend the city, the king, the people. But, words to the Pale's defense quickly gave way to a deluge of other words, hidden truths Grimwald also knew... he relaxed and exhaled deeply. "Prison indeed... tell me, what was your task in Aellyn?"

Danna stood up, surprised at Grimwald's abrupt change in demeanor. She stared at him without word, as she collected her hair behind her head in both hands, tying it with a leather band. She could tell he was hiding something, something that weighed heavily on his conscience. There was much more to this lone traveler from the human prison city she suspected. It was alarming, yet alluring at the same time, she had not been in the company of a man in many years. "I had business with Adoamros Thantalin," Danna was wary of travelers, she had learned not to volunteer too much information to them, friend often had a way of turning to foe. "elvish business, that would be no concern to a human..."
    Last edited by Nicodemus; 01-09-2014 at 04:34 AM.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thadar scanned the openings as Neeko examined the footprint. He inhaled. "Nightshade," he muttered. That's all he had time to do before the fog came swirling in.
    "Thadar!" He heard Neeko yell from behind him. He whirled around, but Neeko was already swallowed by the fog. A noise as approaching him from behind. Thud-draaagg. Thud-draggg. What in the name of the King was that?

Thadar barely had time to see a giant humanoid creature limo out of the fog before, with an ear-splitting screech, a harpy dove at him. Barely parrying its attack, he dove out of the way of the giant thing's crushing attack. A flicker of movement caught his eye, as the man from the throne room jumped over the giant's back and advanced on him.

Thadar raised his knives to block his swing. The man's blade clanged against his, making all the bones in his arms shudder. As Thadar was distracted by this, the man punched him in the stomach. Thadar went flying across the garden, landing heavily in a bush. Gods, no one should be that strong! Something in the man's eyes caught his attention. They were sparking with a blue energy as he spun his knife in his fingers, with no other form of expression on his face. Thadar yelled, hoping Neeko could hear him, "He's not a Lion!"

Banned
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class3 months registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    Running out in the garden Zella was covered in fog and forced to stop. Getting her senses straight she heard the woman speaking, but couldn't make out exactly what she was saying. She heard the word Aellyn and walked towards that voice. The sounds of clashing weapons stopped her again, "I demand that this fighting stop!" she screamed at the top of her lungs.

The guards were rushing in, but no one was listening. Anger grew in her chest as well as a bit of fear, not knowing who or what was in the fog and where her companions were. They hadn't even left the land and something was already attacking them? Was The Pale really this important?

The flashing of a silver weapon swung only a foot away from her face, causing Zella to let out a short scream as she backed up. Her breath quickened as she fell to the floor her hands tensing in the dirt before closing her eyes and screaming, "STOP!"

A few of the guards froze, but it wasn't from her scream. Only seconds after she yelled a loud roar came from the sky above, hidden by the fog. It sounded like nothing she had ever heard, and it terrified her, yet she felt comfort. A roar was heard again, but closer, and a strong wind hit the floor, throwing her hair out of her face. The more the wind pushed down the more the fog began to clear and Zella was able to see exactly what was there, Is....is...that a dragon?!

A beautiful silver dragon, above twenty feet long, not counting the tail, hovered over the garden covering it in shadows. Its crystal blue eyes pierced her, giving her a sense of acknowledgement and she swear she heard What do you need my princess?

Blinking she tilted her head slightly glancing around to see if anyone else heard the voice, but was only greeted with frozen terror.

Achievements:

Level
    Neeko could hear Thadar yell “He’s not a Lion!”. He traded his bow for his two short swords, this may require hand to hand. The thumping seemed to grow louder. He caught what he thought to be a giant tale, but surely that had to be his imagination. The fog is playing tricks on the mind. Then he heard the shriek again. He made his way to Thadar and saw something he never in his life ever imagined he would ever see; a Harpy! Just as he also saw the hooded figure making his way to Thadar he heard the Princess shouting. Amidst all the commotion he could not make out what she was shouting.

Then the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. For a very brief second there was complete and total silence; as if a great power was about to be unleashed. He felt as if the very air became electrified. This surge of power awakened a memory, one he could not quite grasp and was just out of his reach. Then, there descending from the sky like a great bird, its giant wings clearing the fog was a dragon. A harpy and a dragon in the same day the Pale has fallen. What was going on? Neeko could not help but notice the piercing blue eyes of the dragon and how this seemed to match the color of the great gem that once protected their land. This was surely no coincidence.

Achievements:

Level
    Thadar didn't have the option of freezing. At the sight of the dragon, the blue eyed man had redoubled his efforts to kill him. The fog had lifted, making it easier for him to evade the attacks. He was only fighting with one hand, his left arm dangling uselessly at his side.

Thadar locked eyes with the hooded man, hoping to see something in them. A weakness, an opening, anything. All he see was hate, pure anger, and misery all swirling in the eyes.....that....were....the...same...color....as. ..the....dragon's. And the dragon, if you believed the stories, had eyes the color of the gem that powered the Pale. What the heck is going on?

The man finally landed a blow, sending him into the ground. Thadar tried to get up, but the man jumped the three inches down and planted a foot on his chest. He pressed down and Thadar felt the breath get squeezed out of him. Shadows danced around his vision as he hoped that, now that the fof was lifted, Neeko could kill the man before it was too.....

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    Shaking her head getting over her initial shock she glanced around and saw Thadar on the ground with a man over them. She directed her attention to the frozen guards, "Stop that man!"

Some of them blinked in surprise and took a few moments to figure out where the order was coming from or where the man stood that they were meant to stop. Only one or two had a chance to act before the dragon reacted to the order instead, "As you wish, Princess."

Swooping down with ease the dragon grabbed the hooded man with it's claws, easily picking it up in the air, "Do you wish me to kill him?"

"What?" she said allowed confused as thing moved quickly, "No! We need to question him!"

She must have sounded crazy, talking to herself. It didn't occur to her that no one could hear the dragon speak, or that she could have spoke in her own mind to communicate with it. A few guards heard her order to need the man for questioning and starting aiming for the dragon. One came from behind and slashed at his leg, causing a purpleish blood to drip slightly though the wound wasn't dangerous. The dragon roared loudly in anger and reared around to kill the man. Before Zella realized what was happening fire engulfed the guard attacker and Zella screamed, "No! Stop! STOP ATTACKING!"

"You may speak in your mind, I can hear you." the dragon said as he flew out of reach from the other guards.

Squeezing her eyes shut she thought "Please...do not attack my guards. Do not kill the man you are holding. I just want the fighting to stop."

"As you wish." The dragon hovered slightly higher "Please tell your guards not to attack me, I will not harm them if you do not wish it..and they do not harm me."

Shaking her head, "Do not attack the dragon!" she called to the guards, "She's on our side."

Achievements:

Level
    With the fog lifting Neeko could finally see the man Thadar was shouting about. Neeko saw this stranger holding Thadar down with his foot. For the briefest of seconds the man shifted his eyes towards Neeko. He froze; those eyes…he knew them. The memories of the past came flooding forward. Neeko’s brother, the electric blue eyes. He swore he saw a sinister smile curling on the stranger’s lips. The princess order of “STOP THAT MAN” brought Neeko out of his trance. The dragon picked the man up off of Thadar then looked to the princess. Then one of the guards attacked the dragon and as the dragon made to kill the guard the princess ordered the dragon to stop. The dragon obeyed!

“What?! How?” Neeko questioned to himself as to how this could be happening. Where did this dragon come from and why is it obeying the princess? Then Neeko remembered Thadar lying on the ground. He ran to him. He seemed unconscious. He placed his hand to Thadar’s chest; he was barely breathing.

“PRINCESS”, he shouted “Call the palace doctor, Thadar needs help!”

Achievements:

Level
    Thadar coughed and choked. The man had barely put any pressure on him, but he had begun to suffocate almost instantly. His visor swam and he felt the weight be lifted off his chest. Neeko knelt next to him, was shouting to people Thadar couldn't see. The palace guard Garath appeared at Neeko's side. Garagh pulled him out of the ground and laid him next to Neeko. Neeko kept shouting things Thadar couldn't hear until everything faded into something that wasn't real.

"They're gathering." Thadar found himself in blackness. He felt like he was floating. Am I dead?
    "Hardly." Thadar spun around to see a glowing blue humanoid. No face or any features were visible on it. Thadar opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out. Who are you?
    "I am the Pale."