Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hubris

Banned
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class3 months registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level

The Hubris

OOC

------------------

The year is 1323, a normal year for the villagers of The Hubris. The blue hue of the world around them altered the outside world to a dream like state. The village was bustling for a Saturday morning, the market filled with fresh food and hungry shoppers. Wrapped in a black cloak to keep the air chill off her pale skin, Zella walked passed a few stales the smell making her stomach growl, "I knew I shouldn't have skipped breakfast." she muttered to herself.

The next wooden stale had a fresh batch of oranges, and Zella smiled as she trade her coin for the orange. A thank you and bow greeted her as the orange met her hand and she smiled politely while walking away, not wanting to gain too much attention. As she started to peel the orange a soft rumble was heard from a far. Glancing up she wondered where it was coming from. As the rumble became louder, the blue covered world started to shake, causing Zella to glance up at the sky.

The Pale, their protection from the outside world, looked paler, though Zella was sure it was trick of her imagination. The noise grew louder, deafening almost, making Zella look down and cover her ears as many of the villagers around her did. It ended with a loud shattering noise. When the noise ceased Zella glanced up, her eyes shifting to the sky and she paused, the orange falling from her hand to the ground. The Pale...it was gone.

It was only moments before other members in the market noticed, murmurs started to echo through the village. Zella took off in a run towards her home, the Castle. As she ran, the hood of her cloak fell from her scalp, letting her deep midnight black hair flow in the wind. She knew it was unlady like to run, but she need to check with her father to make sure he knew of the incident. When she reached the castle she ran into the throne room, "Father!" she screamed while trying to catch her breath, "The Pale!"

The King sat on his throne, a look of horror and defeat on his face, causing his already aged appearance to look ten years older, "It has failed us."

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Cornelius' autopsy on the golden marmot were at a critical stage and he required Hurtianct's Treatise for a matter of detail. He cleaned and made for the section on fauna. The old man reached for an ancient tome and as he did a plume of dust descended through the lancing window light. He recoiled his gnarled hand and stepped away in surprise. The books danced on the shelves and the great hall juddered. The wood creaked and clattered, and then a deep rumbling from outside filled the hall and ended in a muffled thunder crack.

In an instant the noise abated, and the silence was deafening. Cornelius staggered outside, his eagerness unbalancing him. he stood under his lintel agape at the scene before him. The blue sky was lemon. The ice sun was blinding white so he could not look upon it. The azure haze was gone; the Pale was gone! He steadied himself, but failed and fell to his knees. Cornelius quietly wept.

'The Pale is gone,' he said.

Camabet the carpenter, an ashen ghost of his vigorous self gazed at Cornelius from his workshop and said, 'the Pale has gone! What are we to do?'

Cornelius headed back in to his chamber, scrabbled for his sword, and gathered an armful of bound histories concerning the Pale. He clattered his hall door locked with a great iron key, and bustled off to the castle.
    Last edited by Luddite; 12-22-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thadar jumped back from the knife stroke. His assailant, snarling at him from under his red hood, took another swing at him. Thadar jumped over it and dashed toward the main point of the fighting. To the people who watched from their windows, it was just another gang fight. To the combatants, it was a battle for their home turf.

Thadar tackled one of the reds from behind. One of his gold brothers, Ezekiel, drove his knife home as the red was exposed. "Watch yourself."
    "Right," Thadar ducked another swing from his first attacker. If this fight was like any other ones he had been in, it was going to last all day. He punched the red in the face, as the entire world started to shake. Windows cracked, people staggered and fell. Thadar looked up at the sky and added his cries of bewilderment to those around him. The Pale was gone.

The fight ended as quickly as it had begun, with the combatants scattering into alleys and vanishing into the shadows. Thadar raced to his quarters and grabbed his gear. Every cloak he had, his knives, some rope, a looking glass. He slung the pack over his shoulder and left the hideout. He hadn't gone far when he saw a scholar carrying a sword walking toward the castle. Having no other idea what to do, he followed him.
    Last edited by DanceOfTheShadow; 12-31-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Neeko sat patiently waiting for his prey to run out from under the brush. He was a fairly patient hunter and almost always caught his prey. Tonight he wanted to have rabbit stew and his stomach grumbled at the thought of it. He was planning his meal in his head and deciding which herbs and vegetables he would buy at the market on his trek back home.

Neeko often wondered what lay beyond The Pale. From the time he was a small boy, his father told him the stories of what awaited beyond and how The Pale protected them all from the dangers. Neeko never dared to venture beyond the borders but still is curiosity was always there on the brink of his mind.

Just then he heard the loud crack. Neeko at first thought it was thunder. He looked up and saw no storm clouds. Then he heard that shatter, almost as if a large glass had shattered. It was then that Neeko noticed the hue of The Pale was no longer present.

“Dear Gods, what has happened?” Neeko thought to himself. “What will become of us?”

He immediately left his cover from where he was hiding and set forth to the village. Surely there would be panic.

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Grimwald sat at the end of the bar bathed in early morning light blue light from the pale. Surrounded by empty stools, he was the only remaining patron from the prior evening. The barkeep long given up trying to remove him from the establishment, now content organizing a new delivery of ale, leaving Grimwald to his own accord.

Grimwald sat with his back to the large floor to ceiling windows at the bar's entrance. When his seat shook, nearby bottles fell from their shelves, and the light turned from blue to white, Grimwald didn't turn to see the Pale disappear. He knew all too well what was taking place. For it was not too long ago, as one of the cities high guard, Grimwald became privy to the secret of the Pale. Not too long ago when Grimwald prepared to tell all of the Hubris, the truth. Not too long ago when the lives of those close to Grimwald were quietly threatened, and Grimwald was dispatched of official service. Just a short time ago when Grimwald crawled into a bottle of vintage dwarven oil, desperate to forget everything he knew.

Banned
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class3 months registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    People were starting to fill into the throne room of the king, to express what they had felt and seen in the outside world. Guards tried to force a calm, as the King and Princess spoke in hushed voices trying to determine what the best step was to take next. Once the room was almost completely full the King yelled across the rooms, the stone walls being used to amplify his voice for all his subjects to hear, "Silence!"

Zella took her place in the smaller throne beside her father. While his throne was large, golden and wasteful, hers was a more simplistic look that showed it was merely a share, not a trophy. Patiently she waited, biting her tongue while her father spoke. He continued, "It has been brought to my attention that The Pale ceases."

Loud murmurs crossed the room, until the King cleared his throat to gather their attention back, "It has been one thousand years since the gem was provided to us by my ancestor, King Trevor, the creator of The Hubris. It was written that the gem was told to last up to five thousand years, and we had hoped that we would have not lived to see this day. King Trevor had no knowledge of where the gem that is the power for The Pale was on its own life, and had hoped it would be long before it need be a worry."

Someone shouted, "If you knew why did you do nothing!?"

Zella hid a smile as she agreed with the man's words, but looked at her father. He was silent. This was Zella's chance. She had wanted a way to go search the unknown lands, and she had to protect her father's face from The Hubris thinking he had no plan. If she spoke now, he would say nothing for fear of retribution. Zella stood up, "My father, the King, is putting together a search party for a select few, that will go out into the world and find the new gem to recreate The Pale."

Gasps echoed on the stone walls, her father's surprised look was ignored though she felt his glare on her neck as she continued, "I will lead the search."

She was afraid, knowing her father would be angry and lash out once the crowd at left, but it was her only chance to search the outside world, and find if her ancestor's fears had come true, "Who will go with me?"

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Cornelius glanced in fear at the blinding sky as he bustled towards the castle through the stunned crowds who stood in uncertain awe at the disappearance of The Pale.

They'll panic soon, he thought. His face, well known to the castle guards, allowed him passage through to the throne room. He bumbled through the crowds, nodding greetings and platitudes to those courtiers with whom he was familiar. He set his books upon a sideboard behind the throne, and pushed towards the regal dais when the hall was halted by the king's bellowing.

His lord spoke of The Pale and the first glimmer of fear spread across the hall. Cornelius could not see and did not recognise the voice, but a courtier forgot protocol and his own position and shouted, 'why did you do nothing!?' The hall was stunned to silence when the king's beloved daughter stepped forwards.

'Zella,' the old man whispered. He had known her since her birth; she could be headstrong yes, but what was this? He listened intently to her youthful speech and marveled at her audacity. He was certain that the king would not have made such a decision without convening the counsel.

The assembly murmured in confusion, unsure of Zella's pronouncement. Cornelius was shocked and excited. All his life he had gazed out into the wilderness and imagined walking its wild paths. What dangers, what treasures, what knowledge is hidden out there? He hesitated.

'Many of you know me,' Cornelius said, 'some of you may even like me.' Laughter rippled round the nervous crowd. He could feel the king's glare boring into him and pointedly refused to meet his monarch's gaze. The old man pushed through to stand at the foot of the dais before the young princess. 'For a thousand year's we've lived in safety, secured from the unimaginable horrors that stalk beyond The Pale. Time is pressing. We must discover why the great jewel has failed us, and the answer must lie beyond our borders.'

He turned to the king, dropped to one knee and bowed. 'My lord, you are indeed wise to assemble such an expedition, and with your leave I would accompany the blessed Princess Zella. Your search party will need a scholar and I humbly submit myself.'

He rose and turned to the princess and saw that she was shaking almost as much as he was and said to her, 'if you would have me in your company my liege lady?'
    Last edited by Luddite; 12-27-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning. It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    A murmur of shock rippled through the crowd at Zella's announcement. Thadar was just as surprised as them, but he knew that most of them would slink back as she asked for volunteers. This thought was confirmed as most of the crowd remained silent, until the scholar he had followed stepped forward and volunteered. That setled it. He pushed through the crowd with his fist in the air. "I volunteer as well."

Someone cried out, "He's a ganger!" and the crowd parted before him in terror. Underneath his hood, he scowled. Stupid cattle, quick to judge, unable to confront the danger that was right in front of their faces. He kept his silence and continued to walk to the front of the room, until he heard someone scream, "Think of the princess's safety!"

The hood came off. He turned around, eyes scanning the crowd for the accuser. Finding none, he called out, "If you are so concerned for her safety, why don't you all come? Why don't you all risk your lives to keep your home safe? You won't. I know it, and you know it. There may be some of you out there who truely want to help our Princess succeed and keep our village safe but the rest of you will just slink back to what ever hole you come from and cower until the end comes." He stopped, breathing hard. "If there is one person I want my blade to serve, it's our Princess. Her safety is my only concern." He saw a man in a gold cloak slip out the back, but that was no worry. If this went well, he would have a leader he actually respected.

Thadar turned back to the princess and knelt next to the scholar. "Forgive me for speaking out like that, Princess," he said in a voice only she and the scholar could hear. "I've grown tired of being judged for the actions of my company and wish to change what our people think about me." He pulled his battle-knife from its sheath within his cloak and laid it at Zella's feet. "My blade is yours, if you need it."
    Last edited by DanceOfTheShadow; 12-31-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Good, Cornelius thought as he regarded the ruffian's display. The expedition would need such as this fellow, and in any case Cornelius had kept a close eye on the underworld. Truth be told, he had need of their services in the past and he'd found such folk to have an honesty and pureness of purpose often lacking in the politics of the Court.

Struggling to his feet as the rogue threw aside his cloak, Cornelius noticed a shadowing figure, clad in gold, make way out of the chamber. A times of crisis such as this was very delicate and he feared that much could go awry. Kind hearts and brave souls could come to the fore and much could be gained; yet fear, avarice, and those of craven intent could also move to exploit this event. The king's throne was not as secure as it would seem and this calamity could crack fragile alliances and oaths of fealty.

The rogue's display impressed the old man, but perhaps more so the words he spoke in confidence. Perhaps this man could be trusted, perhaps not? Either way, his blade could be useful if guided in the right direction.

'The moving finger writes,' Cornelius whispered beneath his breath.
    http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning. It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Neeko entered the great hall of the king just as Princess Zella made the announcement of sending out a team to form a search party to see what lies beyond The Pale. Neeko, like the crowd, was in shock at this announcement. Never had anyone ever dared to venture beyond the Pale. Neeko heard Cornelius and Thadar speak up to be a part of the team. He had to admit he was curious of what lies beyond The Pale.

“Highness,” he shouted as he made his way to the front of the crowd, “I will be at your service. My tracking skills may be needed on this journey. I can also hunt and am an excellent marksman with my bow. If you will have me, I will gladly serve on your team.”